The Houston Public Library operates HALAN, a computer network that serves eight public libraries in the Houston and East Central Texas area.
HALAN Mission Statement
The mission of the Houston Area Library Automated Network is to partner through technology in order to provide creative solutions to our information needs.
- Use leading-edge technology to provide most efficient and effective service to the client
- Assist the library staff in the creation of a strong, coherent sense of place on the Internet, while ensuring that the library remains a useful and consistently innovative environment as well as fun and easy to use
- Serve clients in the evaluation, selection and implementation of electronic and technological resources
Continually seek enterprises that provide both services to our community and funding for our operations - remain open to new ideas and partnerships.
Our services can enhance your institution's image and prestige, help to make contributions to the community that were not possible before, create more opportunities for cooperation and corroboration, and have the potential for diversifying revenue. HALAN can manage the non-core operations so that your institution has the potential for significantly improving the quality of customer service (QOS). For example, HALAN can assist with reducing the internal costs and you can reinvest these funds in public services.
There are four key problems for libraries as they seek to develop an effective customer-service program that is based upon the realities of the future: image; the range of current services; the use of technology; and the need to retrain the library workforce.
- Image: The old library image is solid and staid. HALAN can provide your institution with an image of newness and modernity!
- Services: The traditional library idea for the provision of services was building-based with limited hours. HALAN can assist with customizing your new services so that they are flexible and available anytime and anywhere
- Technology: You want the latest technology but can't afford it on your own? It is expensive to develop and maintain technology; however, HALAN can do it for more people and therefore provide the technology you want at a lower cost!
- Workforce: It's difficult to train and retain skilled staff to meet the new demands and this can lead to poor customer service. The future is with HALAN - as a member of a growing consortium, your institution will be able to partner with similar libraries that can help to help work through the difficult changes.
With HALAN, you can save money! As a consortium, HALAN can:
- Negotiate site licenses (including all types of software, not just ILS or database subscriptions)
- Improve operating processes, through consultation and sharing of experience with other members
- Group training